Home Remedies To Stop The Restlessness Immediately
First, I would recommend completing any testing that your healthcare provider has recommended, and any abnormalities that are found should be corrected. The test provided by a medical healthcare provider is listed below. Hopefully, your testing has included an evaluation for vein disease. The first steps in stopping restless legs due to vein disease like venous insufficiency or pelvic vein compression are essentially home remedies and require no invasive procedures or conventional medications. They are as follows:
Consider Other Prescription Medications
Some doctors will prescribe benzodiazepines, narcotics, or anticonvulsants off-label to help their patients suffering from RLS, but these drugs can have side effects that might not make them appropriate for everyone. Another prescription medication thats a possible option is the anticonvulsant enacarbil , which has also been prescribed to treat nerve and was approved by the FDA in 2011 to treat RLS.
What Is Restless Legs Syndrome
Do strange and unpleasant sensations in your legs keep you up at night? Are you bothered by an almost irresistible urge to move your legs when you lie down or relax? If so, you may have restless legs syndrome , a neurological disorder. The tingling, aching, and itching of RLS can last for hours and prevent you from getting the sleep you need.
Anyone can have restless legs syndrome, but its more common in older adults and women. Mild symptoms of RLS may start in early adulthood and then increase with age. After age 50, RLS symptoms often increase in severity and significantly disrupt sleep. Restless legs syndrome is also common during pregnancy .
Experts believe that low levels of iron in the brain may be responsible for RLS. An imbalance of dopamine is also believed to contribute. About 60% of people with restless legs have a family member with the condition, indicating a strong genetic component. Whatever the cause of your restless legs syndrome, though, its important to know that help is available. In recent years, experts have discovered better ways to manage and relieve symptomsincluding simple lifestyle changes and self-help remedies you can practice at home to quiet your restless legs and enjoy a peaceful, refreshing sleep.
Don’t Miss: Insomnia And Anemia
Stretching And Movement Tips To Ease Restless Legs
Enjoy A Soak In The Tub
Try taking a warm bath or shower, one of the more useful home remedies to help reduce restless leg syndrome. Warmth relaxes muscles and helps prevent spasms and twitching. Adding Epsom salts can reduce aches and pains. A warm bath can also help you wind down and set the stage for a restful night.
Relaxing Bath Additions
There are several essential oils, bath crystals, and other ingredients to add to bath water to make it a more relaxing experience. Lavender essential oil is known for its ability to ease you into slumber. Rose, chamomile, and eucalyptus can be similarly soothing. Baking soda and bentonite clay are other bath additives you might find beneficial. Experiment to find the bath add-ins that reduce your RLS complaints and help you get a relaxing night’s rest.
Run Out For Dietary Supplements: Vitamins And Minerals
In some cases, Restless legs can be caused by deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals such as iron, folic acid, magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin B. Talk to your doctor and get the blood tests done that are recommended by your doctor to determine exactly which vitamins and minerals you are lacking.
- Drink mineral water rich in magnesium.
- Add leafy green vegetables, orange juice and beans to your diet.
- Drink at least 2 liters of water in winters and not less than 3 liters in the summers daily.
- Consume iron-rich food to help restore oxygen in the muscles.
- Use vibratory pads at night to relax your leg muscles.
- Get up and move often during the day.
- Consult your doctor if symptoms get worse or you do not get relief from any of the home remedies.
- Avoid fatty, caffeine rich foods and drinks.
- Stop smoking and say no to alcohol and tobacco.
- Avoid sitting in one position for too long.
- Avoid cold and sinus medications. They make RLS symptom worse.
- Never consume any drug without doctors consultation.
- Avoid heavy meals close to bedtime for a better nights sleep.
Can Restless Leg Syndrome Be Cured With The Proper Diet
Weve all heard the saying, you are what you eat. While this is not literally true, what we eat definitely affects us in a variety of ways. This is especially true for individuals with certain medical conditions. Many people are familiar with the relationship between diet and medical conditions such as diabetes, celiacs disease, and high blood pressure, but not as many people are aware of the relationship between diet and restless leg syndrome.;
Willis-Ekbom Disease, more commonly referred to as restless leg syndrome , causes discomfort in the lower legs that creates an overwhelming need to move or stretch. The condition generally causes symptoms to begin in the evening and become more severe as the night goes on. Unfortunately, this means that people with RLS often have a hard time sleeping due to the constant movement and discomfort.;
Although the exact cause of RLS is unknown, researchers have determined that people with an iron deficiency are more likely to be affected by the disorder. Specifically, it is believed that low iron levels in the brain may be responsible. However, iron levels in the blood are not the same as iron levels in the brain. Unfortunately, a blood test only tests iron levels in the blood and the only way to test iron levels in the brain is by using specialized brain imaging.;
Lifestyle Changes And Home Remedies
If you have mild RLS, lifestyle changes may be the only treatment you need.
You can try to prevent RLS symptoms by:
- Avoiding caffeine, tobacco, and;nicotine, which are common triggers of RLS symptoms
- Making sure you’re getting enough iron in your diet or by taking supplements
- Reviewing your medications with your doctor and possibly changing medications that may be triggering RLS
- Exercising regularly
- Engaging your mind with distracting activities when you have to remain seated
Other activities can help alleviate RLS symptoms, including:
- Taking a hot or cold bath
- Using heat or ice packs
- Walking or stretching
- Massaging your legs
- Doing mentally challenging tasks
To help you fall and stay asleep, it’s also important to adopt good sleep habits, including:
- Keeping your sleeping area cool, quiet, and dark
- Engaging in a mentally challenging or distracting activity before bed, such as a crossword puzzle
- Removing devices from your sleeping area that can disrupt sleep, such as TVs, computers, and phones
- Sticking to a sleep routine
- Using breathing exercises or other techniques to relax at night
Restless Legs Syndrome Treatment: How To Stop Restless Legs With Home Remedies
Regular daily exercise can help, says Dr DAnna. But avoid exercising close to bedtime, he warns. Talk to your doctor about a plan that could work for you.
2. Find ways to relax
Relaxation exercises, such as yoga or tai chi, may help relieve your symptoms, says Dr DAnna. So can activities that distract your mind, such as reading or watching television, he suggests. A leg massage late in the day may also relax you and reduce RLS symptoms.
3.; Say goodbye to stimulants
Avoid stimulants in the evening, such as caffeine, tobacco and alcohol, says Dr D Anna. In some cases, caffeine makes the symptoms of Restless Legs Syndrome worse. Try to avoid drinking tea and coffee and see if it makes a difference. Alcohol can also cause issues so consider giving up booze. According to the RLS-UK website, alcohol consumption also increases the span or intensity of symptoms for most individuals and smoking wont help your symptoms either, so cut down or give up. These NHS services can help you quit.
4. Try hot and cold therapy
A warm bath before bed can help you relax and may ease symptoms. Alternatively, apply a hot or cold compress to your leg muscles, says Dr DAnna. You can also alternate between hot and cold compresses to relieve the twitching or pain.
Magnesium may help relax the muscles and lesson symptoms.
5. Give magnesium a go
6. Get your iron levels checked
7. Practice good sleep habits
8. Avoid certain medications
Recommended Reading: Garmin Vivoactive Hr Sleep Tracking
Restless Leg Syndrome Causes
There are two types of RLS, the primary also called idiopathic RLS, and the secondary RLS. The cause of the primary RLS is not known . It is suggested that it may have a genetic cause and it may start as early as childhood.
Secondary RLS tends to start after the age of 45 years and it can be caused by the following:
- Low level of iron in the brain
- Basal gangalia?s dopamine pathways disruption. This is why people with Parkinson?s disease have a higher risk of the disease.
- Alcohol, nicotine and caffeine
- End-stage renal disease and hemodialysis
- Using medications that trigger the RLS symptoms.
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Periodic limb movement disorder is also known as nocturnal myoclonus. Characteristics of PLMD include:
- Nighttime episodes that usually peak near midnight .
- Contractions and jerking of the leg muscles every 20 to 40 seconds during sleep. These movements may last less than 1 second, or as long as 10 seconds.
- Movements of PLMD do not wake the person who actually has it, but they are often noticed by their bed partner. This condition is distinct from the brief and sudden movements that occur just as people are falling asleep, which can interrupt sleep.
- Association with RLS: Four out of five people who have RLS also report having PLMD, but only a third of people with PLMD report having RLS.
While treatments for the two conditions are similar, PLMD is a separate syndrome. PLMD is also very common in narcolepsy, a sleep disorder that causes people to fall asleep suddenly and uncontrollably.
Read Also: Garmin Fenix 5 Sleep Tracking
Treating Restless Legs Syndrome
Mild restless legs syndrome that isn’t linked to an underlying health condition can be managed with just a few lifestyle changes.
If symptoms are more severe, medication may be needed.
Restless legs syndrome caused by an underlying health condition;can often be cured by;treating that condition. For example,;iron deficiency anaemia can be treated by taking iron supplements.
If it’s associated with pregnancy, it;usually disappears on its own within four weeks of the birth.
Performing Regular Calf Stretches
Stretching the calf muscle may help to prevent or alleviate cramping sensations associated with RLS.
Below are some steps for performing a calf stretch:
Don’t Miss: N Acetylcysteine Insomnia
What Are Home Remedies For Restless Leg Syndrome
Other treatments that have been helpful for some people with restless leg syndrome include:
Some of these natural remedies to reduce symptom of restless leg syndrome and may cause side effects. Discuss any problems or side effects you have after using home remedies or alternative treatments for restless leg syndrome with your doctor.
Understanding And Relieving Restless Legs Syndrome
W. Steven Pray, PhD, DPhBernhardt Professor, Nonprescription Products and DevicesCollege of Pharmacy
Gabriel E. Pray, PharmD CandidateCollege of PharmacyWeatherford, Oklahoma
Restless legs syndrome , also known as nocturnal myoclonus, is a neurologic disorder.1 It is referred to as a movement disorder since patients feel a compulsion to continually move their legs to relieve their discomfort. Those with RLS may ask pharmacists what steps they should take to manage the condition.
You May Like: Does Zoloft Cause Insomnia
Who Suffers From Restless Legs Syndrome
RLS is not common in young people. Instead, it is most often seen in middle-aged and older adults. The condition may have a genetic basis, so parents and children in the same families often have it. When this is the case, the age of onset is sometimes younger. RLS is more common in patients who have chronic kidney disease, iron deficiency, Parkinsons disease, diabetes, or peripheral neuropathy, and in those who are pregnant. RLS may also occur in patients withdrawing from sedatives or in those using caffeine, calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure, or lithium for bipolar disorder.
Managing Restless Leg Syndrome Naturally
Avoid stimulating drinks like coffee and alcohol which are capable of making the symptoms more difficult to deal with.
If iron deficiency is found to be the cause, then iron rich foods like raisins, olives, almonds, oats, barley, sunflower seeds and leafy veggies should be increased in consumption.
Place a hot and cold compress alternatively on the legs to provide some relief.
Keep the mind distracted and busy at all times for this may help in controlling the symptoms, especially if they are mild.
Follow an exercise routine in the day time.
Develop good sleep patterns and take some herbal preparations, like valerian root, before bedtime to induce sleep if the need arises. In order to achieve good sleep, napping during the day is not advised.
You May Like: My Snoring Solution Chinstrap Reviews
Hot & Cold Foot Soaks
You can apply cold and warm soaks for the leg muscles in order to relieve cramping & ease pain linked to restless leg syndrome. The heat will promote your blood circulation, and the cold will reduce inflammation. Here are step by step instructions to apply cold and warm soaks for treating restless leg syndrome:
- You fill 1 bucket with bearable hot water and another with cold water.
- You put your feet into the hot water for about 3 minutes.
- Then you dip your feet into the cold water for about 10 seconds to 60 seconds.
- You repeat this solution 2 or 3 times.
- You do this remedy 2 times per day for the best results.
Surgery For Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are enlarged blood vessels, often in the legs, that overfill with blood. This increased amount of blood can lead to superficial venous insufficiency , which means your body cant properly circulate blood. As a result, the blood pools in your legs.
In a 2008 study, 35 people with SVI and RLS had a procedure called endovenous laser ablation to treat their varicose veins. Of the 35 people, 84 percent of them had their RLS symptoms significantly improved or completely eliminated by the surgery .
Again, more research is needed on this surgery as a treatment for RLS.
If youre interested in any of these less-researched treatments, ask your doctor about them. Of course, you can try hot and cold treatments on your own, but your doctor can tell you more about the other treatments and whether they might be able to help you.
Don’t Miss: Can Iron Supplements Cause Insomnia
Avoid Extended Periods Of Inactivity
Sitting still for too long can make the symptoms of RLS worse, so try to break up periods of sitting with movement or stretches.
- Find or create a work setting where you can be active. If you work at an office, look into a desk that lets you stand and type, or walk while talking on the phone.
- Tell friends, family, and coworkers why you have to move around more than others. Theyll likely try to accommodate you and want to help you create a healthy environment.
- Schedule activities that may require long periods of sittingsuch as car journeys, flights, or waiting for appointmentsin the morning rather than late in the day.
- Choose an aisle seat at movies and on planes so that you can get up and move.
- Give yourself stretch breaks at work and during long car rides.