The Best Humidifiers For Snoring : Top 5 Picked By Health Professionals
April 15, 2020 By Fred Johnson
Snoring is a problem that can be of discomfort to not only the snorer but to anyone in the vicinity. Most people can attest to the nuisance that comes with sharing a bed or room with people who snore. It can mess with you and your bed partners sleep patterns, leaving you dizzy and irritable upon waking. One of the remedies for snoring is using a humidifier, and this article is aimed at helping you find the best humidifiers for snoring.
Everyone snores now and then and its usually not something to be concerned about. However, when a person starts snoring more frequently, it becomes something to look into.
Sleeping in a room with warm, dry air is a common cause of snoring, and this can be easily remedied by getting a humidifier. A humidifier makes the air moist and cool and helps prevent swollen nasal tissues.
Before trying any remedy for snoring, the cause must be known. Sometimes snoring can be an indication of obstructive sleep apnea , and you should get the best humidifier for sleep apnea or see a doctor if it worsen.
Also read:Best humidifier for nosebleed
Medical Treatments For Snoring
- Continuous positive airway pressure : A standard and effective treatment for OSA but not so popular among people suffering from snoring. CAPA is a small pump machine that helps to keep your airway open while you’re asleep. Using this machine involves wearing a mask over your nose as well. The pump machine blows pressurized air into the mask and keeps the airway open by forcing air through it.
- Oral appliances: These devices are front-line treatment for snoring. People who feel uncomfortable with CAPA often use these devices to keep their air passage open during sleep. Oral appliances are somewhat form-fitting dental mouthpieces. They usually work by pushing the tongue and jaw forward in order to improve the airflow. A dentist specialized in sleep disorders molds an oral appliance to fit in a particular patient’s teeth.Oral appliances have proven effective for both severe and non-severe snoring. A clinical study published in the Clinical Evidence written that oral appliances were seemed effective in reducing severe and non-severe snoring. However, the study also predicted that these devices might not perform as effective as CAPA.
Surgical Treatments for Snoring
What Type Of Snorer Are You
There are 3 types of snorers and each need their own treatment. Take our 40 second test to see what type you are.
The warm, moist air will open your nasal passages so that you breathe more easily, at least for a while.
But the effect might not last you through the night. And it might not be the ideal alternative if you prefer taking your showers in the mornings.
Nasal irrigation is another effective remedy for nasal congestion. And one of the most popular nasal irrigation tools is the Neti pot.
In fact, many doctors recommend Neti pots to patients suffering from allergies and sinus problems.
Made of plastic or ceramic, a Neti pot works by thinning the mucus in your nasal passages.
A safe and simple salt water solution flushes the mucus away, leaving your nasal passages clear so that you can breathe freely again.
Whatever remedy you use for your congestion, dont forget to drink plenty of water. If youre dehydrated, the secretions in your nasal passages will be thicker and stickier.
This might not be the primary cause of your snoring, but it could make your snoring worse.
So drinking more water every day, especially if you suspect you arent getting enough, could be an easy way to alleviate your snoring.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do Bettas Sleep
How Can I Stop Snoring
You might be able to prevent snoring by changing your lifestyle, diet and daily activities. To reduce snoring, you should:
- Ask your provider about medications to relieve nasal congestion.
- Avoid alcohol and other sedatives before bed.
- Maintain a healthy weight, stay active and get plenty of exercise.
- Raise the head of your bed a few inches to change the angle and improve airflow.
- Sleep on your side, not your back.
- Try a snore-reducing pillow that keeps your head and neck in the proper position when you sleep.
Urpower Diffuser Aromatherapy Humidifier
Special features: Unique square design, seven color night light, aroma diffuser.
Are you looking for a humidifier that doubles as an aromatherapy diffuser? Then the urpower diffuser humidifier is the one for you. With its unique square design and seven different mood lights to choose from, this device is a good choice for those that value style.
This unit has a water tank capacity of 700ml, and it can run for 20+ hours at once in low mist mode. It also has an auto-off feature, so you dont need to bother about keeping an eye on it. It can also be timed according to your needs.
The tank has a lid that you just lift and refill, so that makes it easy to fill and clean. To use this as a diffuser, you just put a few drops of essential oil into the tank with the water.
- Easy to clean and fill
- 7 color change night light
- Different mist levels
- Only compatible with small rooms
- Low dispersing capacity
Also Read: Best humidifier for coughs
Don’t Miss: Can Tramadol Cause Insomnia
More Causes Of Snoring:
- Blocked nasal airways: Some people snore only during allergy season or when they have a sinus infection. Problems in your nose such as a deviated septum or nasal polyps can also block your airways.
- Poor muscle tone in your throat and tongue: Throat and tongue muscles can be too relaxed, which allows them to collapse into your airway.
- Bulky throat tissue: Being overweight can cause this. Some children have large tonsils and adenoids that make them snore.
- Long soft palate and/or uvula: A long soft palate or a long uvula can narrow the opening from your nose to your throat. When you breathe, this causes them to vibrate and bump against one another, and your airway becomes blocked.
- Alcohol and drug use: Drinking alcohol or taking muscle relaxers can also make your tongue and throat muscles relax too much.
- Sleep deprivation: Your throat muscles might relax too much if youre not getting enough sleep.
What Is Snoring Main Causes Of Snoring
The disruptive nature of snoring can lead to unhealthy sleep patterns and has actually been connected to a number of health problems.
Sleep apnea, one of the most typical sleep disorders, is triggered by the throat relaxing while sleeping to block breathing. This can trigger snoring, which can disrupt sleep and lead to sleep deprivation. Main Causes Of Snoring
Sleep apnea is a prevalent condition, which can be brought on by your respiratory tract becoming blocked during sleep. This causes the snorer to stop breathing briefly.Snoring is brought on by vibrations in the throat and mouth tissues, which in turn triggers narrowing in the respiratory tract. An obstructed air passage can likewise trigger snoring due to obesity or bigger tonsils or adenoids.
Symptoms of snoring include loud snoring, problem breathing, choking feeling while asleep, headaches upon awakening, dry throat upon getting up, tiredness or absence of energy during the day. Besides this, you will be more likely to struggle with sleep apnea and other breathing conditions.
You May Like: Can Nac Cause Insomnia
Different Sleeping Positions To Lower Or Stop Your Snoring
Research has shown that those who continuously sleep on their back have a higher danger of snoring. A range of other elements can result in this, including obesity, allergies, medication usage, or nasal blockage.
A research study from the University of Sydney discovered that sleeping on your side can lower the possibilities of snoring by as much as 90% when compared to sleeping on your back.
Sleeping positions that can assist decrease or get rid of snoring are those where the person is lying on their side or stomach. Its always an excellent option to try some different sleeping positions if youre searching for a more tranquil sleep. It will also lower your chances of being tired during the day.
Different Sleeping Positions To Decrease Or Stop Your Snoring
Research study has actually revealed that those who continuously sleep on their back have a higher threat of snoring. A variety of other aspects can lead to this, including obesity, allergic reactions, medication use, or nasal congestion.
A study from the University of Sydney found that sleeping on your side can decrease the possibilities of snoring by as much as 90% when compared to sleeping on your back.
Sleeping positions that can assist decrease or remove snoring are those where the person is resting on their side or stomach. Its constantly an excellent choice to check out some different sleeping positions if youre trying to find a more tranquil sleep. It will likewise minimize your chances of being tired throughout the day.
Recommended Reading: Rem Sleep Depression
Snoring And Your Relationship
No matter how much you love each other, snoring can put a strain on your relationship. If youre the one lying awake at night as your partner snores away, its easy to start feeling resentful. And if youre the snorer, you may feel helpless, guilty, or even irritated with your partner for harping on about something you cant control.
When snoring is a problem, relationship tension can grow in the following ways:
Sleeping in separate rooms. While this may be a solution for some couples, it can also take a toll on emotional and physical intimacy. And if youre the one snoring, you might feel lonely, isolated, and unfairly punished.
Irritability due to sleep loss. Disrupted sleep isnt just a problem for the non-snorer. Snoring is caused by disordered breathing, which means the snorers sleep quality also suffers. Poor sleep takes a toll on mood, thinking skills, judgment, and your ability to manage stress and conflict. This can explain why communication often breaks down when you and your partner try talking about the problem.
Partner resentment. When a non-snorer feels they have done everything possible to sleep through the night but the snorer doesnt take any action to combat the snoring, it can lead to resentment.
If you value your relationship, make it your priority to find a snoring cure so you can both sleep soundly. Working together as a team to stop snoring can even be an opportunity to improve the quality of your bond and become more deeply connected.
How To Handle Your Sleep Routine For Better Sleep Quality
What are the very best pointers on how to get a much better sleep quality?
There are many things that you can do to make certain that you have a better sleep quality. These consist of following good sleep health, avoiding coffee before bedtime, and getting adequate exercise. You need to also make sure that your bed room is dark, cool and comfortable. If you have snoring issues, it is also necessary to see a medical professional. Main Causes Of Snoring
Recommended Reading: Is Sleep Apnea A Disability Under The Ada
More Solutions To Help With Snoring
You can also look into devices that may help you manage your snoring, breathe more freely, and have a full night of quality sleep.
For example, snore strips are elastic bands that stay on your cheeks and work by expanding your airway so you can breathe without any obstruction and sleep soundly. Another great anti-snore product is the Snore Rx Mouthpiece Snoring Appliance. This mandibular advancement device moves the lower jaw slightly forward to clear the airway and reduce the vibrations that may lead to snoring.
For those who snore with their mouths open, the SomniFix Mouth Strips may support unrestricted breathing through the nose so you dont have to use your mouth.
Lose Weight If You Are Overweight
This will help reduce the amount of tissue in the throat that might be causing your snoring. You can lose weight by reducing your overall caloric intake by eating smaller portions and more healthy foods. Make sure you get regular exercise daily. You may also consider seeing your doctor or a nutritionist for help.
You May Like: How To Win Sleep Apnea Va Claim
Ruling Out More Serious Causes
Snoring could indicate sleep apnea, a serious sleep disorder where your breathing is briefly interrupted many times each night. Normal snoring doesnt interfere with the quality of your sleep as much as sleep apnea, so if youre suffering from extreme fatigue and sleepiness during the day, it could be an indication of sleep apnea or another sleep-related breathing problem. Call your doctor if you or your sleep partner have noticed any of the following red flags:
- You snore loudly and heavily and are tired during the day.
- You stop breathing, gasp, or choke during sleep.
- You fall asleep at inappropriate times, such as during a conversation or a meal.
Who Is More Likely To Snore
Nearly everyone snores from time to time, including babies, children and adults. Some people are more likely to snore than others. Snoring risk factors include:
- Age: Snoring is more common as we age because muscle tone decreases, causing airways to constrict.
- Alcohol and sedatives: Alcoholic beverages and certain medications relax muscles, restricting airflow in the mouth, nose and throat.
- Anatomy: A long soft palate , enlarged adenoids, tonsils or a large tongue can make it hard for air to flow through the nose and mouth. A deviated septum can block the flow of air.
- Gender: Snoring is more common in men.
- Family history: Snoring runs in families. If you have a parent who snores, youre more likely to snore too.
- Overall health: Nasal stuffiness due to allergies and the common cold block airflow through the mouth and nose. Pregnant women are more likely to snore due to hormonal changes and weight gain.
- Weight: Snoring and sleep-related breathing disorders are more common in people who are overweight or have obesity.
Read Also: Can Tramadol Cause Insomnia
Final Verdict: Best Humidifiers For Snoring And Sleep Apnea
Out of all the humidifiers we reviewed, the Levoit cool mist ultrasonic humidifier came out on top. This humidifier gives the best value for its price. It has a large tank it is easy to clean and refill. It can also be used as an aroma diffuser. It is very quiet, suitable for babies and its mist levels can be easily changed according to your preference.
The Pure enrichment ultrasonic cool mist humidifier had a good chance as it is also budget-friendly, but we picked the levoit because it has all the features pure enrichment has with the bonus of having an aroma box. If youre not too keen on having a diffuser/humidifier, then the pure enrichment unit is your best choice.
Meanwhile, for those that dont mind paying more for beauty and style can go for the Urpower diffuser aromatherapy humidifier.
Are There Any Other Reasons People Snore
Aside from those reasons mentioned above, some people become snorers as they age because their throat and tongue muscles weaken. Likewise, certain medications can relax those muscles and lead to snoring. Pregnant women may be prone to snoring towards the end of pregnancy, when hormones surge and cause nose tissues to swell. A crooked nasal septum or deviated septum where the cartilage wall between the nostrils is off centercan also cause snoring.
You May Like: Can Candida Cause Sleep Problems
Lifestyle Changes To Help You Stop Snoring
Lose weight. Losing even a little bit of weight can reduce fatty tissue in the back of the throat and decrease, or even stop, snoring.
Quit smoking. If you smoke, your chances of snoring are high. Smoking irritates the membranes in the nose and throat which can block the airways and cause snoring. While quitting is easier said than done, it can bring quick snoring relief.
Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, and sedatives because they relax the muscles in the throat and interfere with breathing. Also talk to your doctor about any prescription medications youre taking, as some encourage a deeper level of sleep which can make snoring worse.
Be careful what you eat before bed. Research shows that eating large meals or consuming certain foods such as dairy or soymilk right before bedtime can make snoring worse.
Exercise in general can reduce snoring, even if it doesnt lead to weight loss. Thats because when you tone various muscles in your body, such as your arms, legs, and abs, this leads to toning the muscles in your throat, which in turn can lead to less snoring. There are also specific exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles in your throat.
Six anti-snoring throat exercises
Studies show that by pronouncing certain vowel sounds and curling the tongue in specific ways, muscles in the upper respiratory tract are strengthened and therefore reduce snoring. The following exercises can help:
Alcohol And Sedative Medication
Alcohol and other sedatives cause snoring by relaxing the muscles that support tissue around the airway. So, chronic snorers, including those with OSA, who drink alcohol experience more severe snoring. Physicians often recommend avoiding alcohol and sedative medications during the hours leading up to bedtime to reduce snoring. Although this approach to snoring management has not been evaluated in a randomized clinical trial, some people may experience benefits.
Recommended Reading: Do Betta Fish Sleep At The Top Of The Tank
What Are The Various Kinds Of Snoring
A person who snores is normally considered to be experiencing obstructive sleep apnea. This occurs when the muscles in the throat relax and block the respiratory tract. The other kind of snoring is called central sleep apnea, and this happens when a persons brain stops sending out signals to their breathing muscles for a while. Main Causes Of Snoring
The snoring that we will speak about in this section is called lateral sleep apnea, which takes place when one side of the throat ends up being blocked while sleeping.